What Does It Take To Publish An EBook Today?
It’s the age of eBooks. Gone are the days when you had to spend a lifetime, literally to bring out your book. There were publishers you needed to deal with, distributors who made your life difficult, and of course, at the end of the day, it could all go wrong. Most of the times, one simple mistake at any level, will deny you the opportunity to make it big. Thus, your book gets lost in the world of millions of books. The risk is high and ironically reward low. Thankfully, today the situation is a much better. With technology, we have come to a point in time where we have nullified the risk and maximised the rewards. Thus, eBooks make life easy for all the parties involved.
Now, the eBooks are not just the publishers game. When we look at it, it’s a platform for the self-publishers to bring out their work without any hindrance. The process is truly simple. You just need to have a properly edited manuscript in hand. Additionally, you will need a cover image which goes with the book as well. The next thing you need is to pick a platform to self-publish. Here, you can either go to the market-defining Amazon Kindle Publishing, or others like Scribd, LuLu, and Barnes and Noble. You have your advantages and disadvantages with each of these platforms. But hey at the end of the day something is better than nothing. In this regard, let us show you how you can convert this something into something more. You can perhaps make something of your everything which brings immense success to you. The following are the steps to it.
Step 1: Use The Amazon Based Self Promotion Tools Cleverly
Most of the writers bring the bring out and wash their hands off. If you are looking to bring a hailstorm within the publishing arena, publishing a book is just the beginning. You see, nothing sells like the effort you put in to make the sales. Of course, you have an exciting book, but you still must promote it cleverly. In the context, you need to bring in the tools. Amazon provides you with a couple of tools which will help you promote your book with not much effort.
- Genre Specification: Pick your book in the perfect genre for the book. Remember to classify your book in the best genre and not an abstract one. You see, when you put in a listing within an overall category, Romance, then you have millions to fight out. But when you list within Romantic Science Fiction, you have a simpler fight in your hands. Be specific is the mantra.
- Discount Deals and Free Giveaways: Amazon gives you options to go forward and truly bring out a greater number of sales. Say, you have your KDP Select option, where you list your books to be available for a discount for a certain period. What’s more, you can also make the books available for free across a specific period. Yes, free books won’t get you the royalty, but hey the audience will always grow. You can reach to millions, who are interested in picking up a novel which is free. More people are liking your book, more people will like to buy the book later on.
Step 2: Make Your Book Invaluable And Link It To A Series
Remember the last time you read a book and awaited the next one in the series with the abated eye. You see, anticipation (or book greed) is one of the most incredible literary forces we have. You need to capitalise it. And making your book value is one way of doing it. Here’s how you can get a good start.
- Prepare A Draft For A Series Not Just One Book: The logic is simple, if you can’t consider a story beyond its bounds, you are restricting yourself. And on principle, your readers may find it boring if they think that you are running out of ideas right in your first book. Yes, maybe you are inclined to tell the whole story within a single book. We agree. It’s a traditional practice which ensures classics to come out. Lure your readers in by saying how important your book is in the bigger scheme of things.
- Always Have More – What Will You Give Next?: In the bigger scheme of things, you can’t obviously leave the book alone. Create a movement around it. Don’t make the book just a static thing to do. You need to bring in a certain dynamism around it. Create blogs about it. Use platforms like Reddit, Tumblr, Google Plus, and much more, to spread the word. Show them your ideas for the future of reading your books. Create contests which make sense to the book. Always have more to offer than mere books.
Step 3: Place Your Ideas With Proper Timings And Utilise Holidays
This is a no-brainer. You have the tools of promotion. Get on Facebook, create a page for the book specifically, invite your friends to like it, and have a thing going on. You see, you can feed your readers with multiple inputs and excerpts from the book over a period. Do not let them forget your book at least for a month or two, till you gather enough positive review about the book. Once, you do that, you can obviously, use those reviews to bring out posters and quotes from these people. Use social media platforms intelligently. Here are some ways of doing so
- Go for the Kill On Weekends – Drift It Through On Weekdays: Once you have exhausted your avenues on Amazon itself, it is time for you to drive traffic from different social media accounts. And recently, it’s not just Twitter or Facebook helping you. Platforms like GoodReads, LinkedIn, Google Plus, Instagram are always proving to be even more helpful. Thereby, you can utilise these platforms to bring out visual presentations for the said book. One thing to remember is that you need to strike in the perfect timing. You bring out the ads, sponsored or free, on weekends, specifically Friday and Saturday.
- Utilise The Kindle Tools Best On Expected Holidays: We already have seen that Amazon has a long range of productivity tools which allow you to promote your books for free (of course there are some simple conditions which aren’t going to hurt anyone). Now, you have the tools, but when do you time it. Weekends, of course, is a good bet. Another is creating relevant and contextual promotions for holidays. Say, if you have Christmas coming, you could infuse some elements from the holidays to the book promotions. Design the posters with Tinkerbells, mistletoes and trees as well. Make the book as season read. Even if it’s a sci-fi thriller. Make it more relevant to the people who are willing to shop and spend on the occasion.
Step 4: Reach Out To The Reviewers And Use That As A SpringBoard To Launch
Maybe we should consider this as a prequel step to the existing steps. So, well the idea is to bring in as many reviews for the book as possible. You see, more the reviews, (good ones obviously) brings in more validation towards the book, encouraging your contacts to buy the book. The easy of ensuring you have a load of reviews in your kitty, the following are some methods for it.
- Before The Book Launch – Organic Reach Out: The first things that you can utilise while getting your book promoted, are the glowing reviews you get. How do you get them? A small, clever way of doing so is sending your manuscripts to your people who might be interested in your book. Even otherwise, send it to around to a smaller group of people in your circles, and ask them to review it. Remember, the reviews and ratings should be on the Amazon page, and you need to specify the same. Once you collect enough reviews, you can then promote it with quotes and posters. You now have a third-party approval saying that the Book is impressive. And that adds to the authenticity, for your readers (intended or not) to pick up the book without much thought.
- Samples, Formats, and Details – As Per Need: As explained earlier, more the reviews you get, higher the number of sales will be. But to ensure that you get the reviews in time, and appropriately, most of the authors resort to sending samples for the selected people. The samples should depend on the people you are approaching. For example, if you want your friends to have a quicker read, go for a PDF. However, if the people are interested towards reading it as a book then, obviously then you will need to send it as a book, either Mobi or Epub. It all depends on the intent, either you are selling them for money’s worth or incentive.
Step 5: Make It Visually Excellent – Don’t Have Your Readers Leave The Shop
The thing you need to ensure is that visual appeal is needed for any product you bring out. And more specifically about the books. You see when the people look to shop books, their attention span is at a minimum. They will not stop scrolling unless you make them too. Here is where you will get the advantage if you have an impressive cover art, which is both relevant and important to the ultimate sale. Here’s how you can ensure that
- Get a professional Book Designer: You can search for hundreds of professional eBook designers from across the world, within the online freelance portfolios, in Fiverr or Upwork. You can approach them, discuss out the concepts and thereby have the perfect book cover made. Be careful that sometimes the discussion might get the artist or designer to make the cover which is incredible but not relevant to it. Hence, you may end up not using it at all.
- Separate Designs For Different Platforms: Create a blog which will host the various details of Book separately and entertainingly. Never forget to link back your Amazon book details to this blog, as you propagate it across the world. The more you blog, the more you spread the idea. However, be careful that the blog needs to pertain to various aspects of the book and look as customised as the platforms. Thus, you may these blogs speak out for you in the best way possible. Switch between Author and Blogger occasionally. And spread the word on the social media platforms. The backlinks are the key indicators for the author dominance, and you will need to find a way to influence your readers.