Chunky Reader – A Comic Book Readers Dream
The evolution of Comic books has taken an interesting turn. From coming out in leaflets to now coming to digital platforms, Comic books have come a long way. Remember how you could buy comics every other day in the bookstore near you. Or order them with your newspaper agents. Comics soon became one of the greatest joys in life. Millennials will fondly remember some cult classics of comics. Most of these comics featured superheroes, like Superman, Batman, Iron Man, etc. Subsequently, these comics took another form, Movies. In movies also, the stories of these comic books became super successful. Today, you’ll see that Comics has turned a new leaf when they are rarely available in the bookstores. That is where digital comic readers like Chunky reader come in.
Comic books became the best formats which one could read upon a device. You just needed to have a good enough screen resolution, and comics would practically come to life. You need to install an app, like Comixology, Helicon or Foxit Reader, and there you go. All you need now is to download or buy your favourite comics onto your device. This process becomes easier when you have the Kindle app on your device. Kindle store contains a million plus comics which you can buy and keep reading happily. But what happens when you want to get the books from other sources. Thus, you need an app which works with these books. That’s where Chunky Reader shines. Chunky Reader is a must have comic reading app for iOS platform. Also, you can use the web interface to read on the web browser as well. Here’s our review of it.
What Exactly Is Chunky Reader – And How Does It Bring All The Good Things To The Table
‘The quickest to load, the easiest to read and the cleanest to look at’ is what most app reviewers say about this reader. You see that perhaps is the crux of how Chunky reader impresses its users. Most of the users say that the iOS-friendly app has a super clean interface. ‘Try an app that makes your comics look great, makes reading them a pleasure and takes all the friction out of importing and managing them’ comes as the catch line for Chunky Reader. You can see for yourself that, much importance is given towards being clean, minimalist, and efficient. The makers of this app, Michael Ferenduros, always mention that this app is always under development and not a finished product. He mentions that the app is always updating based on user suggestions.
The app is always made to evolve periodically. Hence the slogan that the app which is made by nerds and for comic book lovers. The makers are true nerds when you look at the app. The application for Apple systems shows the rare flexibility that you usually find with Android systems. In this regards features like Upscaling, Crop Screens, Export quotes and more, bring a certain freshness for the reader. You usually find this type of flexibility in Android app, but the team managed to bring that to iOS. That makes this app even more important when it comes to analysing and recommending it. If the basic comic reading abilities weren’t enough already, there comes a lot of features which are innovative and exciting. Most of these features all work towards making user readability all the more entertaining and involving. Chunky Reader will become your favourite because of them.
The Features Of Chunky Comic Reader – What Makes The reader Stand out
The official list of features that the makers of Chunky Comic Reader brought out to the iTunes is the below list. However, the list does not include every nifty little feature which makes for incredible stuff. The list is only indicative of what the Comic reader can do. In most systems, all these features work smoothly and make for a great deal of ease in reading. However, if we should list out the features they come as below:
- Ultra clean and simple to use
- Smart upscaling makes even low-res comics look great
- Auto contrast/tint fixes yellow pages and faded ink
- Self-organizing library – just drop in your comics and go
- Download comics in the background while you read, directly from your cloud file-storage service or the web
- Upgrade to pro, and download from your PC, Mac or NAS as well
- Parental controls let you flag particular comics as ok, and passcode-lock everything else out of sight
- Single-page or two-up page view
- Right-to-left reading mode
- Post screenshots directly to Twitter, Facebook, or Reddit.
Now as we discuss the features of Chunky Comic Reader, let’s go into detail about the reader and how it makes reading comics highly entertaining.
Interface Issues And Support Within Chunky Reader
With new formats and advancements in the form of eText materials, you can easily get some apps which hang while using. And Kindle can face this complication too. But as it was, you can read along with a Comic book within this app with no stutter whatsoever. Naturally, Chunky Reader supports all the major eBook formats which are related to comics like CBR, CBZ, CBT and PDF. In these formats, the app shows excellent support and more of its effects like Page Turn effect, Annotations, and Exports and more are smooth to run.
That is a sign of a robust app which knows what it is reading. This smooth flow of things is brought out to the functioning of the app at the home interface. The whole interface is the softest to touch and operate, and highly responsive when it comes to different versions of iOS. The loading times, load animations are all smooth.
One of the prime reasons why Chunky Reader is made for and is available for iOS and only that is because you can utilise the swift response system of the device in this. It’s simple, never does the app feel lagging. The auto arrangement of books and neat categories of books makes for the nice smooth interface. Even when the app is allowing out links from a browser, it does with a clear run. All you need to do is you need to load up Comics from various sources and start reading.
The process of loading up the books within this reader is not a complicated one. In direct loading, purchase and get option and aloo via email loading, the Chunky Readers offers multiple options. The makers behind this app, normally recommend that Comic eBook formats like CBR and CBZ work the best when it comes to this App. Although reflowable text already exists even if the input if PDF, the eBooks are a better bet for these apps in iOS.
Visual Tweaks For The Best Reading Experience With Chunky Reader
In one sentence, the makers of this listing tell you that the app brings the best experience in reading comic books. The line they use is rather impressive when they say, Gradual Upscaling which allows you to look at sharper images. And we can’t stress enough why sharper images are such a fun inclusion with Comics which usually appear all blurry when running on incompatible software. Now, gradual Upscaling means that the app brings you options which analyse the images within, and auto adjusts the contrasts, brightness, and edges, to create the best visuals ever. Practically, you can see the difference when it comes to other CBR Comic book readers to this, Chunky Reader.
One another cool feature which allows for an easier read, within the app is the ability for including Auto Contrast and Auto Tint correction. This feature helps you to bring the adjustments when coming to adjust the layout of pages. Of course, the screen orientation options also bring in multiple options to explore. Now, although you can install the Chunky reader in every iOS run device. But in a weird turn of events, you cannot read Chunky Reader in iPhones.
The makers have not made the app to be compatible with iPhone. Now, as you cannot read it on iPhone, you can still read in iPad. However, there’s another catch here. The app works best when used within iOS 9 and above. In case, you don’t want to upgrade your iOS to the next iOS 9, let’s say you want to stay at iOS 7, then you can still try the app. Thereby, you can try the app up to the last version of 2.3, which only brings only a few features to it.
Loading Books and Performance Tweaks Of Chunky Reader
What is a good eBook reader when the process of loading up books comes across as complicated? Thankfully, that doesn’t happen when you load this app. As we already mentioned, you can load books within the app from various sources. Now when you open up the options, you can buy the full version of Chunky Reader. Even without the pro version, you can still load up books from cloud drives like iCloud, Google Drive or from within the app. It can browse and download directly from iCloud Drive, Dropbox, Transporter, Google Drive, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud Drive, Box, Pogoplug, Mediafire and Copy, and you can copy files in and out with iTunes on your computer or download them via the built-in web browser.
The makers of the app have included a dedicated Comic book portal which allows you to download them into the device directly. The main two portals which you can access for it is, Ubiquity and Comicstreamer. Within the Ubooquity servers, once you connect to this, you can download not only just the books but also the tag info details. The procedure of connecting Ubooquity is pretty straight forward. However, the option of accessing Ubooquity servers only comes with buying the full version of Chunky Reader.
The process of connecting to the servers is:
- First, go to ‘Advanced’ in Ubooquity and switch on ‘Enable OPDS feed’. Hit ‘Apply and restart server’ for this to take effect.
- Now open the ‘General’ section and make a note of your network address.
- In Chunky, add a ‘Calibre / Ubooquity / OPDS’ account.
- In the dialogue that pops up, in the server field enter your Ubooquity server’s network address, and add pods-comics onto the end of it.
- It should look something like this: 192.168.1.100:2202/opds-comics. Thus, you are connected to the Ubooquity servers which make for a great deal altogether.
Readability Tweaks and Library Management Tweaks
As we mentioned earlier you can see that the Chunky Comic readers, lends native support for CBR, CBZ and PDF files apart from other comic book formats. Of course, this means that you can smoothly read CBR, CBZ files within this Comic reader. However, you can quickly read the books as the app auto-scans the library of things which allow you to pick and randomise the books basing on your interests. To bring up your books into the library, you need to follow the below steps to ensure the perfect sync. However, to be clear the following pointers are only applicable for Pro Version of the book app.
- First, share the folder with your comics on your PC or Mac
- In Chunky, hit ‘Edit’ or ‘+’ at the top left of the cloud menu, and pick either ‘Windows shared a folder or ‘Mac shared folder.’
- Hit the little radar button in the dialogue that appears, and you should get a list of local computers including yours
- Pick your computer and fill in your username and password for your computer (or if you shared the folder with everyone, try leaving them blank)
- Now hit ‘Connect’ and if all is well, navigate to the subfolder you want to add to Chunky and pick ‘Select’.
- If you get stuck, don’t hesitate to get in touch via the Tools menu and ask for help. The makers of the app are truly responsive in helping you out. Not only the hindrances are taken for improving the quality of the present app, but also bring further updates to the app.
- If you are looking for bringing in, DRM free book from the web portals to this app directly, then the makers recommend the two portals like – Image Comics, 2000AD, Top Shelf, Humble Bundle, and more.
- Image Comics are the portal which has a range of cool comics, and all their new releases are available DRM-free. And Chunky can browse and download directly from your Image account, so your whole library is always close-to-hand.
- 2000 AD also has a great online store for all your Old Stony Face needs. Top Shelf has released the first wave of DRM-free books, including the excellent ‘Heck’ and ‘Crater XV’.
- Humble Bundle do incredibly good-value comics bundles, and they often change so you should check back regularly. Also, you can import comics from your library directly using Chunky’s WebView.
Viewing the Books and Readability Options within Chunky Reader
As you bring the books into the app, you get all the best ways possible for reading the comics. Now as we usually have in multiple eBook readers like Helicon, Mantano, Entourage Edge and more, you can read the books either in portrait and landscape formats. Also, single, and double screen view is a wonderful way of doing it. Another nifty little feature which you can use within Chunky reader is that you can pick your regular and preserve others. Of course, we are talking about protecting a few books that you want with an inbuilt lock system. At the same time, you can keep some books out and have them accessible to others.
On another useful feature is that you can share your snapshots, quotes, or texts from within the app to other platforms like Facebook, Twitter and more. You can integrate your Facebook details into this, and bring your friends recommendations within this. It is, after all, a well thought out app which makes reading a real joy by giving you some more social ways in which you can read with no hassles at all. Enjoy reading your Comic books right now with all the fantastic facilities Chunky Comic Reader has to offer you.