Text Formats – What Is Required When?
We have a hundred odd online text formats which are all efficient in their way. The most basic eBook formats which everyone knows about are Doc and PDF. You use these formats in our day to day life. There is hardly any office, organisation, or company across the world, which does not use Doc, PDF, and TXT formats to capture, process and transfer data within their systems. However, today the world, at least the academic and literary world, has moved beyond basic text materials. It has moved onto formats like ePub, Mobi, CBR, and much more. The question you may ask is that, are they all required? To that, the simple answer is yes, of course. Practically, each of these formats has a different purpose to fulfil. Let’s see how.
To get a basic understanding of how these formats are separate from each other, let’s look at each of them individually. You see, the basic formats are Doc, PDF which is usually used for basic text edits. Not to say that Doc or PDF files are limited to just basics, and fall into the eBook of things. But in all sense ePub does a better job at this. You see, ePub is truly an eBook format, which allows a user to experience the reading experience, including Bookmarks, Page Flip effects, Reading modes, and more.
Thus, ePub becomes a wonderful way of bringing the experience of Book reading to digital platforms. The other very similar eBook format which usually does this for you is Mobi. Although both these formats bring parallel similar features, Mobi is something which is an exclusive format for Kindle devices. Thus, it is merely who uses what scenario.
Why ePub Becomes Important In The Bigger Scheme Of Things?
Now that we know the importance of eBook formats, the following are the few things which make ePub stand out as a universal eBook format.,
- Epub works across platforms both device based and operating system wise. The format extends native support for major operating systems such as Android, iOS, Linux, and Windows.
- The flexibility of Epub is in its way of including several media inputs, such as image, audio, or video formats within its book formats. This makes for a more involving experience to the reader.
- Since, its development ePub has become one of the few formats which have extended support to Flash, SVG Graphic, and HTML5 inclusions.
- The recent eBook formats like CBR, CBZ which you can use for Comic book formats within the digital devices, are all basing out of ePub. With ePub ebook format, you get the options of developing more from a simple base.
- More importantly, if you are a developer, you will see that the ePub book formats are the best to work around to include futuristic publishing and presentation tools which are high on interactive nature and involving procedures.
The Need To Convert Other Text Formats Into Epub Formats
The above listing shows you the strengths of ePub. Perhaps, those in itself are required to bring about some good enough reasons for converting other formats into this. Since other formats are also equally effective in reading experience, we shall have to see where it becomes important.,
- Device Compatibility: You can read the other formats of eBooks, but not always and not everywhere. Say you are interested in reading your ebook on a smartphone. One way of doing it is loading up a PDF and scroll through. Or get a more involving experience by uploading the ePub file. You are carrying a book on your smartphone device. And what’s more, you can read these books on every device. No PDF locks, No additional software. Just plain old reading.
- Easy To Convert: How would an easy conversion of the book, become a necessary need for doing so. To explain that briefly, when ePub is so easily available, why don’t you just get your files in it. With multimedia support and incredible things to do with eBook, why just stick to the age-old plain text materials.
- Secure and Stable: The biggest difference you get when you compare Docx, PDF and other text materials, and Epub is the compressed file structure. At the basic format level, ePub is just a RAR format which is read by ePub supported tools, picking up the layers as per need. Logically speaking, you have better chances of securing a RAR format with password and encryption, then standalone documents. Hence, most publishers globally, choose ePub as their default text material format for data transfers and publishing.
How To Convert Other Major Text Files To ePub Files?
Since we’ve seen both what ePub can do and why you should choose it, we will proceed to see how we can convert other ebook formats into this. Thankfully, most of the tools, portals, and websites that we use are usually free for interconversion. Let’s see how we can do it for major formats.
Doc/PDF to Epub
- Offline Tools: You can use free to use software tools like Calibre, Scrivener and Sigil for offline purposes. You see these tools are free to use for a trial period after which you may have to buy them. However, the best things you get with these tools is control over various aspects of conversion. Thus, you can maintain the alignment, typesetting, media placements and more.
- Online Tools: With new advancements in the technology, you can easily bring conversion to Epub using online tools. You see free portals like ZamZar, OnlineConvert, ToEpub tool etc. Within these tools, you will basically, see an input window (which is for selecting and uploading source file) and an output format select (which is for destination file format). Hence, the process is simple as you just must select the file which you want to convert and click on Convert button.
- Points to Remember: In converting with offline tools, most of the users may see that the source and destination files (in this case ePub) may differ in the way they look. You may say that there is some level of distortion while conversion. To avoid this, you need to use often the offline tools, which allow you to get into the best control of elements. As you can go beyond the usual tweaks like Margins, Page Breaks, and Annotations.
Mobi to Epub
- Using Kindle Native Systems: In conversion for ePub to Kindle format (Mobi) you get multiple options for doing so. The quickest of them is, of course, using the native Kindle tools called Kindle Previewer, in which you can upload your Epub file and get it to convert to Mobi. The tool works well in doing so, as it maintains the annotations, alignments, as it is in the source. You will find very minimum changes in it unless of course, you are using fonts which are either too complex, that you can’t convert them easily.
- Online/Offline systems: As in the previous conversion, you can use Online tools to convert Mobi into Epub. The best way of doing it is, using the online portal, Mobi to ePub, Zamzar Portal, ToePub. Offline systems also become important here in conversion. You see, with more complex formats, you can bring about more different elements which you need to control. With this in consideration, you can consider the best ways of converting the files. You can use programs which allow you to bring more to the table. You can control the headline tags, metadata, and more while converting and transferring.
CBR/CBZ And Others to Epub:
- Tricky Conversion Things: Why do we say that it is tricky? Well, the simple reason is CBR/CBZ is something which is an evolvement over and above the usual ePub. For all the purposes, you can say that the CBR/CBZ is the next step for eBooks which allow you to read comic book formats upon Digital devices. Now, you can obviously, use the other tools which you saw earlier, but do they do the trick? That we need to see in future. You see, as CBR/CBZ files are usually comic book files, in most of the cases, the makers construct them as complex books, with multiple interactive layers, hyperlinks, and active points. Practically, you cannot convert it into something which is as simple as an ePub. However, you can always try the online tool for it and perhaps get a good enough result.
- Online/Offline Systems: When we look at it, CBR/CBZ files become a complex heading for eBooks. So, to be honest, you will not find that the online tools make your requirements meet. You can still use the basic conversion tools like ZamZar to do so, but they won’t give you the best results. In that sense, you can do a better job using the portals like CloudCreative, SourceForgeNet. In most of the cases, an Offline tool which allows you to bring the conversion in Calibre. However, in most cases, you may find that the program ends up splitting images up. Hence, you will need to control the metadata source coding to make the perfect conversion.
This is how you can convert multiple formats into ePub, and make the best use of utilities which are available freely online and offline which are making life easy.