iBooks Platform – Is The Platform Fully Open
In the ideal world, iOS is perhaps the perfect operating system in the world. It runs smoothly on its self-made devices bringing in a perfect sync with the software and hardware capabilities. The Steve Job’s ideology in creating a seamless environment for the machines to work in best reflected for the iOS and the Apple Inc prides this ideology which brings and updates this ambition over the ages. With every little update, the iOS pushes this over to everything it is associated with. Be it the various devices coming from the company, like iPad, MacBooks and more popularly iPhones. Ironically, this is something going with the apps which Apple iTunes stores. The apps on the platform are made to work perfectly with Apple devices. Thus, iBook’s, an eReader is made precisely for that.
Most of the iOS users claim that iBooks is the perfect app to read books, on your tablet or smartphone with incredible speed. The iTunes allows you to buy and get books as you like, from a couple of millions of catalogues across genres. You should probably search for the best books as per your taste from across the library and get the best book experience for yourself. However, this all is from the perspective of customers who want to buy the books. What if you are an author who wants to utilise the reach of iBooks to appeal to new readers on iOS? What if you are a publisher who wants to brings his catalogue of books onto this platform and reach out to the worldwide smartphone users? The question comes to How do you upload books to iBooks in simple steps, and what do you gain from it?
Publish and Sell Your Books On iBooks Platform
In the following steps, you will understand how to utilise iTunes platform to reach a wider audience and achieve better sales than normal. The process explained is straightforward and requires you to have an Apple user account. From that place, the following things are needed.
- The publishing portal on iBooks is available for everyone, and it is entirely free. The royalty and payout ratios come out with regards to the book in question. You can find the details of this in the sign-up process.
- You don’t need a separate registration for Publishing and Distribution. The same registration account applies to both the aspects.
- The first step in bringing your books to feature into iBooks is through your Apple account settings. To offer your books on the iBooks Store, enable your Apple ID for iTunes Connect, provide your publisher name, and indicate whether you will be submitting your books or submitting books on behalf of a company.
- Once you have the registration success, then you can start uploading books which meet the guidelines on the official Apple page.
- Apple will be sending you a mail confirming the deal with an application submitted successfully and progress emails.
- Once you connect iTunes to your Apple ID. As we said, this is a free account, and you can easily bring it up. Once you do that, you enable iTunes Connect, you choose whether you want to only offer books for free, or both sell them and offer them for free.
- Download iTunes Producer, the application you use to submit your book to the iBooks Store. You can download iTunes Producer for free as part of the publishing process.
- Create a sample book (required if you’re selling a book) for customers to view for free before deciding to purchase your book. During the publishing process, iBooks Author can create a sample based on one of your book’s chapters. Or you can create a sample manually.
Things To Remember For Uploading Books On Apple iBooks
With iBook store publishing you can get easily millions across the world who are using the iOS phones. But truly tap into the potential of the publishers reach, the following are the few pointers
The Connect Between Indie Authors and iBooks
It has been a long-standing tradition across iBooks and its authors that, the platform usually lends good support to those who are independently publishing. The iBooks bring out the best promising talents from across the world to highlight on their portal. And thereby, they pride themselves in giving better opportunities to people who have lesser avenues.
- So the chances of iBooks promoting your book are better when you are an independent author rather than an Affiliate one.
- iBooks also runs periodic promotions of indie authors in a section called ‘Breakout Books’, another concrete sign of its desire to make indie authors more discoverable.
The Tips to Increase Your Chances for Better Sales and Revenue
Although there is no fixed rule that the below tips will work when you publish your books. However, as per the analysis of a few hundred books and the trends existing today, we can safely say that the following tips may help you as an author and are worth a try.
- Use a striking cover image, one which complies with the guidelines listed down in the iBooks section. Of course, there are only dimensions and type restrictions which the Apple publishers bring out. Usually, the dimensions are 300dpi/1400 pixels wide on the smallest side.
- The basic idea behind bringing cover picture is that you will have to use the same within the various campaigns which you may want to take over. Simple as that. So, in that perspective, you will need to use the image.
- Do complete metadata fully and accurately; it will help Apple editorial teams find your book if searching for genres to feature. When it comes to Metadata, you need to fill in the details about Title, Author name, ISBN if at all.
- Pick the categories which best suit the book which makes the book stand out. Too abstract a book and you run the risk of users not finding the book. Too specific a category and you may find that no one is searching for it.
- Always check your formatting and see to it that the manuscripts are adhering to the guidelines within Apple publisher rules. Apple’s editors are known to be specific in doing it. Hence be concise and clear.
- Fix broken links, and try to spread the word via social media accounts. Now what happens is that Apple recognises that you are promoting and bringing people to your portal and therefore ups the ranking. Follow these steps to make the best use of the international platform of iBooks and maximise your sales.