What Can you Upload and How Easy is it?
If you are a writer looking for the maximum reach out, you need to look beyond just Kindle Store. Arguably, Google Playbooks is the next best alternative and something that is becoming popular. With native Android support, (and being pre-loaded on most of the smartphones) you have a ready-made solution for reading eBooks on your device. As for the market, Google Playbooks (previously Google Play stand) gives you multiple and easy ways to publish your books online, via your Google Account. It’s a simple three-way process. The only thing that you need to consider is the rights you hold for the book. That is compulsory. What is not compulsory is that you don’t need to upload the format in any particular format. Either way, PDF, Docx and Epub files can directly be published on Google Play Books.
Method One: Uploading PDF Files Through Google Account
- Create a Google account if you don’t already have one. Of course, once you have this, it’s easier to enrol in multiple Google service. One such service is Google Books – Partner Program.
- There are two ways you can utilise Google Books to reach the new audience. But the first login into Partner Program on the said website. Once you enrol here, options open. Submit the books if and only if you hold the copyrights for the material. Otherwise don’t even try uploading it.
- After you create a partner account, you can now upload the book in either PDF or Epub format.
- There is an online interface for uploading the prepared book online. Use it to bring the book for a preview.
- There are two options that an author can have to promote his books in Google Play Books.
- Preview books: A user can upload their active advertisements to Google Play books, and provide Preview of the book with a proper sample. However, when someone wants to buy a book, there will be links which he can access to do that. Purchase books: A user in addition to providing the sample can also provide the download links directly on the website.
- Selling the books becomes easy on the Google account. Provide information about Author details, ISBN, and select the area use, if worldwide, select that.
- Add your profile picture, which you want to get out along with the books, and insert different Authors divided by commas.
- Save and Continue basing once you confirm the book data as you need, with a picture upload.
Method Two: Second Paper Books – Instead Of PDF/Epub Files
- The above method is the easiest and quickest way of getting things done. However, if you are someone who believes in the traditional way of things, then this method is for you.
- Instead of uploading PDF/EPUB files over the net, (which very rarely get tampered with), you can send your print books to Google office to have them upload to Google Play books.
- The process is simple. Once you have the books, prepare them for bound books. You will need to post these Bound Books to Google, 7055 Central Ave, Newark, CA 94560, USA.
- However, there are some things you need to ensure before submitting your entries for publishing on Google Play.
- Ensure that, you include a packing slip with the date, the number of books, titles and ISBNs, and your Collection Code.
- In this regard, once you enrol at Partner Program Code on Google Books online, you can visit “ship printed books”. Within this option, you will get the collection code. Find the instructions to send to the Google office and follow them.
- Send books that are no larger than 11.7 inches (29.7 cm) in 1 dimension. Books may be no smaller than 2.75 (6.985 cm) inches wide by 1.9 inches (4.826 cm) wide in landscape orientation. Or, books may be no smaller than 1.9 inches (4.826 cm) wide and 2.75 inches (6.985 cm) long in portrait orientation.
- Other criteria to be met while submission, send books that are a minimum of 6 pages in single-page foldout format. The types of formats for the book which are submitted are Ring-bound, spiral bound, perfect bound or saddle stitched books.
- Ensure that the pages are properly cut, to make the job easier for the scanner. Stuck up pages are also to be ensured to be removed.
- Once you submit the books, you will receive a confirmation mail at your email ID, and in the next few days, you should see the book going live.
Method Three: Sending PDF’s – Direct Books Into Web Portals
- This method is very similar to Method One, where you had to login into Partner Program account.
- The only things it differs is that you can now upload PDF files as well, via the online portal and get them processed to Playbooks.
- Use Google Uploader for files of more than 10 megabytes. If you use the web form, name your PDF files according to the instructions.
- Using the web form. Google Books requires PDF filenames to be the same as the ISBN. Choose your file name for books without ISBNs.
- Click on the Browse button on the web form uploader. Navigate to the folder on your computer that has the PDFs of your book and JPEGs of the front and back cover.
- Click on one file, then click Open. Repeat until all files are ready to upload. Then click “upload files.”
- To use Google Uploader, click on “Launch Google Uploader“. “Click Run” twice when prompted and click “Agree” to agree to the terms and conditions.
- When the window opens, drag PDF and cover JPEG files from your hard drive into the window. Click “Upload Files” when you have all your files in the uploader window.
- One the books are uploaded, in the next few hours, you will see that your books appear within the next twenty-four hours without errors. The same if occurs, will be given a notification via mail to the user in his Gmail account.